Wednesday, October 21, 2009

SOMETHING LIKE HAPPY


It really has been one of those days.

My morning began with a man telling me I was mean. And cold. He said this after I turned down an invitation to join him for dinner. For some reason he can’t comprehend why I wouldn’t want to spend some quality time with him. He claims to be a great catch. He’s conveniently forgotten that he has a wife and a young child, he’s old (20-plus years older than I am actually), and that I am in a relationship. He also doesn’t seem to realize that most days he rolls in wearing last week’s unwashed clothes, lacking an ounce of personal hygiene, and has difficulty stringing a complete sentence together without adding “ya know what I mean?”

Suffice to say being told no for the umpteenth time he figured he’d win some favor points by pointing out my flaws, mean and cold being at the top of his list. I politely thanked him, muttered what I really thought under my breath and went back to doing what I was doing before I was so rudely interrupted.

And what I was working on was giving me a hard time. I couldn’t string my words together the way I needed to. The emotion behind the poetry was completely incoherent. Then just like that something clicked. The writing took on a life of its own and when I was finished I couldn’t have been more pleased.


For lunch, my son came to visit. He was motivated by hunger and the prospect of a free meal courtesy of mom. He and I had a nice conversation. He has set some new goals for himself. He has a new girlfriend, finally freeing himself from that she-devil who use to work my last nerve. It’s been some time since I saw him so happy. It's also the first time in a long time that he hasn't been insolent, rude, and just plain annoying. He hugged me, gave me a kiss and told me he loved me very much.

The morning temperatures went from chilly cold to absolute perfection with a cloudless blue sky to die for.

And right now, in this very moment, I am feeling something like happy. With luck, the rest of my happy day might turn out half as well.

No comments: