Thursday, June 25, 2009

MICHAEL JACKSON

He’d been 13. I’d been 10 and I was head over heels in love. So much so that when he and his brothers were playing Madison Square Garden just weeks after my birthday, my parents purchased tickets for us all to go. At the last minute my father was unable to get away from work. Without a ride those precious Jackson 5 tickets were doomed to go to waste. I’d been devastated until my mother discovered that one of the local churches was taking a busload of its congregation to the concert. Finagling three seats for her, my sister, and I, we headed for New York. This was a true feat because my mother was NOT a bus riding woman.

I wore a new dress and was excited when my grandmother volunteered to take me to the hairdresser to get my hair done. That was a first because I hated to go to the beauty shop with a passion but I would have done anything in the world to look good for my guy.

I had it all planned out, too. During intermission I would head to the little girl’s room. He would be headed to the little boy’s room. We would accidently bump into each other and he would fall madly in love with me. It was supposed to have been my destiny. A few thousand other little girls had the exact same thought and not one of us ran into him that day. I remember crying for hours after we arrived back home.

Michael Jackson died this afternoon. The initial reports say he suffered a cardiac arrest. He was 50 and is survived by three children: Michael Joseph Jackson, Jr., Paris Michael Katherine Jackson and Prince "Blanket" Michael Jackson II.

I grew up with Michael Jackson when he was not so eccentric. He was black and beautiful, his ethnic features looking like those of my father, and my uncles and my cousins. He was supposed to father my four kids so you know he had to be doing something right. When it all went south my heart pined for Lionel Richie but I would still dance to Michael and remember when.

His music will always be legendary. The loss absolutely breaks my heart. My thoughts and prayers go out to his mother, his children, and the rest of the Jackson family.


No comments: