Sunday, August 05, 2007

WADING THROUGH THE WATER

Have you read a book by moi? If you haven’t, you should. In fact, I can say unequivocally that if you haven’t read a book written by Deborah Fletcher Mello then you have truly missed out on a reading experience like no other. So go buy a book. You won’t be disappointed.

Now, how’s that for self-promotion? I am very much responsible for promoting my books because as a mid-list author, whether I have national, best-selling acclaim or not, there is no one out here promoting me. And, truth be told, I’m not doing but so much promotion. I’m really just not good at that sort of thing. I still blush and get tongue tied when my mother announces loudly to anyone who’ll listen that her daughter is a writer with seven books published. I couldn’t begin to tell you why but perhaps it has something to do with my extremely shy personality. I have friends who’ll raise an eyebrow at that statement but I am truly very shy in certain situation. Not all of them, but most of them.

My books have done very well and I’m told they’d probably have done better if I’d been out on the road selling myself along with them. I’m grateful that I wasn’t because I’m still not sure it’s something I could have done and done well. I’ve avoided the writer’s conferences and rarely have I done book signings. That has to change though. I understand that if I really want to expand my audience that I need to get our here and meet my readers one on one. They need to know that I’m really not as up tight or as annoying as I might seem. I’m actually quite funny when I don’t try to be and I can be pretty engaging when the moment moves me.

Writing is hard work and when all is said and done, promoting that writing experience is even harder. I’ve been wading through it all like one might dip their toes into a kiddy pool just to get wet. So now I’m pulling on my hip boots so I can walk thigh high in the midst of the Promo River. Wish me luck as I go wading in the promotional waters. I plan to get good and wet.

No comments: