Wednesday, May 16, 2007

LOOKING FOR THE RIGHT WORDS


An acquaintance asked me for a favor. What they wanted required more of my time and patience than anything else, but I was struck by this person's assumption that since I'm a writer that I could complete the task with relative ease. "You'll know what words to use", is what was said to me. This acquaintance would be surprised to know that I really don't. Most times I don't have a clue what words would be the right words to say or use. In some situations I am so fearful of saying the wrong thing that I tend not to say anything at all. Even worse, I have an annoying habit of being so careful to chose the right words that the message I hope to convey gets completely lost in the translation.

Right now someone I love dearly is going through a trying situation with family. And I am struck by the fact that I don't have the words to convey how much I want to be there for them. I'm not sure what I should say or even if I should say anything at all. But I want to do something, to be of some help, some how. I have asked repeatedly if all is well because I'm not sure what else there is for me to ask without my getting into business that isn't my business to get in to. I'm looking for the right words because I want this person to understand that I'm here for them to lean on, no matter what. That all they need to do is ask and no matter what the time of day I will there for them without fail. But sometimes finding the right words isn't always such an easy thing to do.

No comments: