Wednesday, July 01, 2015

AUTHOR ROOMS Welcomes PIPER HUGULEY!


Welcome to AUTHOR ROOMS!

AUTHOR ROOMS is a new series here on my blog that allows us all a peek into the spaces where new and favorite authors create their magic. Ever wonder where a writer actually writes? Have you ever had questions about how an author does what they do? AUTHOR ROOMS will give us all a little more insight as select authors answer five random questions and show us those places where they wrangle their mojo!

I’m excited to kick off the series with renowned historical author PIPER HUGULEY. In 2015 Publisher’s Weekly named her a top ten historical romance novelist. The Preacher’s Promise, book one in her “Home To Milford College” series was a semi-finalist in Harlequin's So You Think You Can Write contest, and a quarter-finalist in the 2014 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest.

Most recently, Piper won the 2015 Breakout Author of the Year award from the AAMBC Literary Awards. She was also the recipient of two Romance Slam Jam 2015 Emma awards for Debut Author of the Year and Cover of the Year for her book The Preacher’s Promise.

Coming this month from Piper is A Virtuous Ruby, book one in her Migrations of the Heart series. Published by Samhain, Virtuous Ruby is already an award winner, having won the Golden Rose contest in Historical Romance and being a Golden Heart finalist. The official release date is July 14, 2015 and it will be available wherever books are sold.

An award-winning author on the rise, Piper is a masterful storyteller. Rich descriptions, plot twists, and engaging characters make her writing something special, so don’t miss out on her literary treats! Piper blogs about the history behind her novels at http://piperhuguley.com. She lives in Atlanta, Georgia with her husband and son.

Enjoy!                                                                  

What does your writing process look like?
Tina McElroy Ansa said, "Thinking time is writing time."  I don't write every day.  I write four days and then think/plot the other three days of the week. It doesn't always work when I have a deadline, but that's my intention.

Do you have any strange writing habits?
I have certain things I like to wear when I write, so I stay warm. I have a sleeveless fleecy writing jacket I like to have on.  As far as any particular place or anything like that, no.  I've had to learn to adapt.

If you were a dessert, what would you be?
A ginger cookie. Spicy but sweet.

What literary character is most like you? And why?
Edana from Octavia Butler's Kindred. For a long time, Edana did not know her heritage.  Through that wonderful story, Butler showed, through Edana, that not knowing your history has a very high cost. Such truth in that book.

What's the best writing advice you've ever been given?

I took a class from the wonderful Dee Stewart in the last few months before she died. She told me that everything that you write has to have a piece of your heart in it.  She said if the writing lacks that emotional connection, it won't sell.  She was right. 

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for having me here today Deborah! It's an honor and a thrill! :)

Denny S. Bryce said...

Wonderful interview. Congrats on the launch and the awards!

Unknown said...

Piper, I like your space...motivating but limited distractions. I've found that certain foods put me in the zone when trying to squeeze out those last few pages of content. So, is there a combination of dessert and hot drink that works well for you when writing?

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Denny! Thank you for stopping by!

Amy said...

SO proud of you Piper! And a little bit jealous that you HAVE a writing space. I have to backpack it to the library. Whatever gets the job done, right? Fun interview, Deborah!

Amy said...

SO proud of you Piper! And I'm a teensy bit jealous that you HAVE a writing space-- I have to backpack it to the library every day. Well, whatever gets the job done, right? Fun interview, Deborah!

Carrie Padgett said...

Fun pictures, Piper!! And a great post. Congratulations on all your success this year!

J. Hilton Steele said...

Oh, I've never seen it so clean...um, I mean from this angle. So continually so happy for you!!!! Look at all the blessings that have been nurtured in that space.

Unknown said...

Ahh yes, Amy. It took a while for me to get my space. I've only had it for about two years. I still have the computer desk on wheels pushed into my walk in closet with a chair in the bedroom...so I know just how you feel...But you are getting it done! That is indeed what matters! Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

Awww, thank you so much Carrie! I appreciate your kind words so much! Thank you for stopping by!

Deborah Mello said...

Thank you so much for hanging out in my virtual space today! And for kicking off the series. I look forward to reading A Virtuous Ruby!

Deborah Mello said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ha Julie! You are right for sure! Thanks for commenting!

Unknown said...

So glad you are looking forward to Ruby, Deborah, and the pleasure was all mine! Thank you for having me!