Saturday, October 01, 2011

MAC AND CHEESE


I have a favorite little haunt that I frequent too many times each week for dinner.  Having refined my eating habits, I’ve eliminated most meats and all fried foods from my diet.  At my favorite little haunt I usually eat the same foods with an occasional variation and I always leave feeling that I’ve had a substantial and healthy meal.  The veggie plate is my favorite, an eclectic mix of three vegetables, a fresh baked yeast roll and my must-have sweet tea.  The cooks are all Southern born and bred and it is home cooking at its very best. 
Yesterday I met a friend for dinner.  I ordered my favorite plate with collard greens, pinto beans, macaroni and cheese, that roll, and my tea.

After blessing the food, we dug in and I began to extol the many virtues of my very healthy vegetable dinner.  My friend smiled sweetly, nodding in agreement as he enjoyed his own meal of green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy and an oversized breast of fried chicken.

When we were sated and contemplating whether or not we would share a dessert, my friend laughed, his head waving back and forth.  “You do know that mac and cheese is not a vegetable, right?” he said.  "There's really nothing healthy about it."

There was a moment of pause as I took in his comment.  “It is here,” I finally responded.  “Otherwise they wouldn’t put it on the veggie plate menu.”

He shook his head.  “If you say so.”

And I do.  I know that mac and cheese isn't the best choice and it certainly isn't a vegetable but it makes all these vegetables I have to eat a little more palatable.

No comments: