Thursday, September 21, 2006

THE WRITE MOTIVATION


I am pulling my hair out right about now. I have a new proposal that needs to be completed and at this very moment I hate the story. I’m forcing it and it feels contrived and I just don’t want to write this particular book or this particular series. And now that I’ve said it out loud, I’m not going to do it. I can’t. It’s not in me.

My agent is expecting revised synopses from me for three manuscripts I’ve written. Writing them feels like I’ve been sentenced to some ungodly punishment for some heinous crime that I didn’t even know I committed. This shouldn’t be so difficult but damn, it feels like the hardest thing in the world for me to do. I don’t want to write these either. But I have to. I really want to see these stories published and since this is what it takes, it has to get done.

And my child, bless his mile-high Afro, left a folder of seven college applications on my desk for me to review and comment on. It would seem that he is truly interested in going to college as indicated by his comment that he is doing his part and I need to do mine. Seems my to-do list now includes searching out scholarship information or finishing those darn synopses so I can sell some books ‘cause college isn’t going to be cheap. When he was in elementary school I promised him that no matter what college he wanted to attend, I'd do whatever was necessary to make sure he went. MIT, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has been on his list since forever. MIT could cost me some $45,000 per year. Seems I’ve got some work to do. Those synopses and that proposal are starting to look a lot more promising. It’s amazing what I have in me with the right motivation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes our children are the greatest motivators ever. Keep writing!