Tuesday, July 21, 2009

JOY JUICE

I listen to a lot of music when I’m writing. It’s like fuel for my spirit, my go-go juice that sets a mood and defines the tone of a story. I’m smack dab in the middle of finishing the last two books of my Stallion Brothers series and it took much music to help me regroup and find my balance to get a feel for brother Matthew and a Stallion family cousin.

For those of you who have been keeping up with my Stallion boys, I finished baby brother Luke’s story, LOST IN A STALLION’S ARMS, late last year. It will be released in May 2010. I loved writing every bit of Luke’s story. The boy is twenty-something young and every bit a stallion stud. He is a walking sex machine, bringing much pleasure to the vivacious Joanne Lake, a full-figured beauty who captures his heart. The couple has become one of my favorites to have written about. Tracy Chapman’s 1997 hit single Give Me One Reason was the inspiration for much of Luke's sexual bravado.

Then the writing schedule went a little haywire. Publishing conflicts knocked me off kilter and I couldn’t find my rhythm. When it came back it came back with a vengeance. Then an extra Stallion book got tossed into the series mix. So now, right after Luke’s story, my book STALLION BRIDE featuring a distant cousin, Travis Stallion, will drop in August 2010. Everything about Melanie Fiona’s current hit, Give It to Me Right, has kept me and Mr. Travis on our collective toes. That song has ignited some serious heat between Travis and the delightful Miss Tierra Braddy. It’s also had me putting out a flame or two of my own, but that’s a whole other post!

Matthew story, STALLION HEAT got pushed to the back burner but it’s just pages from being completed as well. A Harvard-educated attorney, Matthew was one of the more conservative brothers. His energy has been quite different which makes for a different kind of delivery with him. Although he’s very old-skool smooth I keep reaching for Terrence Howard’s Sanctuary and Joe’s If I Were Your Man. I haven’t quite tapped into Matthew’s joy juice yet. But I can feel it coming. I can feel it wanting to explode as soon as I put out some of these here flames that cousin Travis has ignited.

Deadlines are approaching fast. My stereo is pumped on high and it doesn’t get any better than this!

No comments: