Monday, May 19, 2008

WANTED...A BENEFACTOR...


I would really like to find myself a benefactor, a charitable patron who would be willing to gift me a monetary endowment to help further my literary career. Historically, some visual artists have been exceptionally blessed to have a benefactor fund their artistic efforts by purchasing their artwork or just gifting them monies to help them create their masterpieces. I don’t know of a writer who has been that blessed.

Certainly, there have been many writers who were fortunate to win writing grants or be selected for fellowships, but nothing like having a private citizen hand them monies to fuel their basic necessities while they write that great American novel or who funded workshops and writing classes to help improve an author’s skills.

I want a benefactor who will help me publish a book I’ve already written. It’s an exceptional story that has placed second in a major, national writing competition and a story that has garnered me much attention. Unfortunately, I can’t find a publisher who’s willing to step out on a limb and publish it because it doesn’t fit the current publishing trend. The piece is more literary than drama fabulous. Self publication would seem to be the only alternative I may have if I want to see the work published. Self-publishing is an expensive venture if it’s done right and done well. Right and well would be the only route I’d be willing to take for any story of mine so I need me a benefactor.

As most of us authors are rolling into royalty season I am more acutely aware than ever before that my writing isn’t going to be paying any major bills this season and probably not the next. I’m also aware that the more I write, the more I want to be writing and that I desperately need to expand my writing horizons. I also know I’m going to need me some help to get there.

Please feel free to contact me if there is anyone willing to lend a helping hand.

No comments: