Tuesday, January 08, 2008

WHAT"S UP!




Lord, have mercy! Holidays and family have had me on my toes, ducking, dodging, and just having one heck of a time!

Spent Christmas with family and friends and genuinely had a good time. One of the cousins was sulking because she had hoped to spend her holiday with her new beau. He however spent it with his baby’s mama completely oblivious to the fact that she had hoped they might spend that time together. I’ll just let you imagine the drama that ensued ‘cause that did not go over well with my girl at all. I had an opinion about the whole mess but since no one asked me I kept it to myself. But if it had been me….

The old people were in an uproar over some more family mess. Uncle This announced he was getting married. The man is well in his 70’s. The fiancĂ©e is barely 55. This wouldn’t have been a big deal if he hadn’t just buried his first wife right before Thanksgiving. The old women were fit to be tied that he’d gone out and bought the girlfriend an engagement ring before he’d bothered to buy his deceased wife a headstone. But like they say, karma can be a bitch ‘cause I have no doubts that Auntie will surely let him know what she thinks about all this from her grave. Not only is she rolling over, but I imagine she’s just waiting for the right time to reach out and slap both him and her right out of her bed. And if she doesn’t you can surely trust the other women in the family will.

The New Year was exceptionally quiet. My date stood me up so me and my little black dress spent the night in deep reflection contemplating all I need to accomplish for the New Year. The first thing on my list was making sure that I don’t pick the wrong dates in the future! I didn’t bother with the champagne and there was no one around to give me my midnight kiss but I sure did look cute in my dress!

My baby boy went back to school this past weekend and although I miss him already I was ready for him to leave. That child just about wrecked my last nerve. My house never stayed clean. His friends didn’t know how to find their way back to their own homes. Someone was always standing in front of my refrigerator with the door open and my last piece of baloney in their hand and every time I turned around he was saying, “Ma, can I have some money?” Forget everything I bitched about before. There is much to be said for that empty nest!

And now I’m starting the New Year on a serious roll! I’ve officially launched a new business (more about that later) and I’ve got books coming. This is going to be a great year and I don’t doubt that I’ll have plenty to rant and rave about. So hang on, I’m making sure we have us one heck of a ride!

PS. - The above image is by Hollis Chatelain, one of my favorite artists. Hollis is the supreme goddess of textile art! This piece is actually a quilt! It's called Untold Secrets. It seemed fitting for the occasion because I'm sure there will be more than a few untold secrets I'll be sharing some time in the future. To see more of Hollis' work, visit her HERE!

No comments: