Tuesday, January 30, 2007

BABY, IT'S COLD OUTSIDE...

Brr it’s cold….
It's cold out there...

That song is playing over and over again in my head ‘cause around the country temperatures have dipped big time. The weatherman predicted our low would be 20-degrees this morning, down from our low of 25-degrees yesterday morning. You can trust that the gym will not be seeing me but so early this morning. I have got to let it warm up a bit first although our predicted 45-degree high isn’t my idea of high.

I absolutely detest cold weather with a passion. I moved south because I hated cold weather so much. This global warming, El Nino crap that has turned the forces of nature on its tail end is truly giving me reason to rethink my move. Arizona had been my first choice. The hubby insisted he couldn’t survive the heat. He’s a snow bunny through and through. North Carolina was supposed to be a happy compromise. I ain’t happy.

When it gets cold all I want to do is crawl into my bed with a good book and a bowl of comfort food. Two bowls of comfort food actually. The meal and the dessert. I do good comfort food if I say so myself. Steaming bowls of stew, chili, chowder, and thick, veggie-filled soups. Cap those off with warm bowls of brownies and hot fudge sauce, or warm apple pie with custard sauce. I can do comfort really well!

This cold day is calling for a pot of my mother-in-law’s fish stew with coconut, followed by oven-warm coconut cake with hot fudge. I can just taste it already. Since I can’t share the meal, I will share the recipe. It’s one of my all time favorites. Reminds me of our Bermuda home and right now I’d give anything to be lost somewhere on an island paradise, where it’s sunny, hot, and there’s no hint of cold.

FISH STEW WITH COCONUT
Serves 6

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 small green pepper, cored, seeded and finely chopped
1 small red pepper, cored, seeded and finely chopped
1 to 2 serrano or jalapeno chiles, according to taste, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 can (13.5 oz.) unsweetened coconut milk
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
*2 pounds fish fillets of any firm white fish cut into 2-inch pieces
16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Juice of 1 lime
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley


In a 4-quart casserole, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, green and red peppers and chiles. Sauté until the vegetables become soft, but not brown, about 5 minutes.

Add tomato paste and coconut milk. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the fish and shrimp and simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes or until the fish and shrimp are cooked through. Add limejuice and cilantro or parsley and simmer 2 minutes longer. Adjust seasonings if needed.

Ladle into large bowls and serve with white rice.

*You can use snapper, mahi-mahi, cod or halibut for the fish. I personally prefer white codfish and I also add more shrimp. ENJOY!

1 comment:

GladysMP said...

I hate cold weather, too. My yard hasn't dried out all winter. Even with a few days without rain, it had rained often enough to keep the ground wet. And the wind and wet ground make the temperature feel even colder than it is. I am sick of hibernating. I, too, have been eating soup.