Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A REASON, A SEASON, AND A LIFETIME Of FRIENDS...

I was writing a love letter, of sorts, to a friend. The letter started as a thank you to this person for the overwhelming kindness and support they have shown me over the past few months. And it was a simple thank you note that ended up expressing just how much my friend has touched my heart. It expressed how loved I feel and how much love I have for this person.

As I was writing it, I was reminded of that poem that says people come into our lives for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. As I thought about it I realized that I’ve been blessed to have many a lifetime friend come into my life.

My best friend in the world has been in my life since we were children. I cannot even begin to imagine my life without her. She is one of a select group of women, and a few men, who have touched and inspired me over the years. A group that I have established an incredible bond with. They are my sisters and my brothers, individuals who are more family to me than some of my blood relatives will ever be.

Friendship is an incredible gift. And as much as it is an awesome blessing, it is a huge responsibility as well. Friendship is fragile and must be handled with great care. If taken for granted, true friendship can quickly unravel and even the most earnest attempts may not be able to mend it whole again.

I thrive under the mutual respect, knowledge, esteem, and affection my friends and I have for each other. I welcome their company as much as I know they welcome mine. Their loyalty is profound and we each desire what is best for the other.

True friendship requires a degree of intimacy that a cold and shallow spirit could never understand and allow. I am grateful for the open hearts that allowed me in, held me close, and continue to support me when I least expect it.

I so value my true friends and I wouldn't trade them for all the wealth and fame in the world. They each know who they are. They know my soul as I know theirs. They are the reason that the wealth of my seasons is blessed with a lifetime of love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to be considered a friend to my friends too. It is a special gift to have a friend!

Kelley Nyrae said...

Friendships is a truly special gift. I only have a few people that I know have my back and are my true friends. I wouldn't trade it for the world.