Tuesday, July 23, 2013

DROPPING THE F-BOMB



I sometimes cuss when I’m in the gym working out.  Not out loud.  Not really.  Just a low dirty word under my breath every now and then when something is particularly challenging.  Or I’ll mouth it, silently, just the expression of it showing on my face. 
I am very mindful of the words that come out of my mouth and I try not to use profanity ever.  But I wasn’t always this way.  There was a time I could cuss like a sailor.  Sonshine has a horrible potty mouth.  He blames me for it and puts forth no effort to do better.  I can just imagine the first words that will come out of my new grandbaby’s mouth.
I’m more aware of when I swear now and only because my very favorite guy doesn’t cuss ever.  It kind of threw me when we first started dating to be with a man who has rarely, if ever, uttered a curse word.  It actually felt a little weird to cuss around a person who never cussed.  I’d get this look and then the question.  “Don’t you have another word in your vocabulary that you could use?”  The first time he asked, I answered.  A profound, “hell no!” my response.  He said “okay” and that was the end of that conversation.  Until I cussed again and he asked, again.  By the third or fourth time that he asked, I actually gave it different consideration and began to be more creative with my expressions.  After working on it for a while I realized that I didn’t really do it anymore.  Until today.
Today, in the gym.  I cussed.  I dropped a perfunctory F-bomb as I finished the third set on some machine that had my legs and glutes feeling like jelly.  I probably wouldn’t have even noticed except the woman on the machine beside me nodded her head and said, “Yeah, I know how you feel!”  I laughed and moved on to the next machine. 
I’ve decided to reserve my cussing just for the gym.  And only because I hate the gym that much.  I hate it with such a passion that the F-word repeats over and over again in my head when I even think about having to go there.  I warned my favorite guy.  I didn't want him to be surprised by it and if he asked about my vocabulary I knew I'd have a few more choice words to share with him that he wasn't going to appreciate.  I warned him and he laughed.  Seems that elliptical machine had his vocabulary a lot more colorful, too!

No comments: