Monday, November 14, 2011

A GOOD DAY


I have never considered myself an outdoorsy-type.  It was out of character for me to commune with nature if there were buggy-things around.  The family tells many stories of my summer adventures on my grandfather’s  South Carolina farm when I’d throw tantrum after tantrum if something even buzzed by my ear. 
My appreciation for nature came as a result of my baby boy who preferred the outdoors over everything else.  From the moment he was able, he would often rise early, head out the back door and disappear into the woods that bordered our property.  He’d scavenge things that intrigued him and then bring them back for me to identify, explain away, or just be in awe of.  Soon I was trailing behind him to scavenge my own treasures.   Discovering the outdoors through his pale grey eyes was absolutely enchanting, even with the bugs. 
Hiking wooded trails was one of our favorite past times.  We trekked a mountain side together right before he left for the military.  It was quality time, the likes of which, I will hold near and dear to my heart forever.  I hadn’t made the opportunity to do any hiking since.  Not until today. 
This time of the year is my favorite.  There is something about the fall coloration and the crisp, clean air that moves my spirit.  Today was picture perfect for a hike and so I found a two-mile trail in a mountain-like setting that I’d never explored, tied up my favorite boots, packed that requisite bottle of water and disappeared into the woods with one of my favorite friends. 
As I stood on an overlook, staring out to the expanse of yellows, reds, golds, and browns that bordered the most peaceful blue-green lake, it took me back to ta time when I was certain that all was well in the world.  When life was good and blessings were abundant.  And as I reflected in prayer, love beside and around me, I was reminded that it sometimes takes communing with nature to know that life, with its many contradictions, can still be good and personally, my many blessings continue to be abundant.
It was a very good day.

No comments: