Tuesday, April 17, 2012

ROMANCE SLAM JAM

This past week I was in Little Rock, Arkansas for the 2012 ROMANCE SLAM JAM.  Romance Slam Jam is the premiere writing conference for authors and fans of multi-cultural romance.  It was started by Miss Emma Rodgers, Miss Ashira Tosihwe and Miss Francis Ray in 1995, the trio wanting to acknowledge what author Nikki Giovanni described as “The Power, Passion and Pain of Black Love.” 

Talk about a good time!  Not only was I able to meet icons whose works I've loved and admired for many years, but book fans and author friends who reminded me why I love writing what I write.  The event was informative, with workshops and author sessions galore.  I reconnected with some old pals and made a host of new friends.  I left with a whole other appreciation for what I do, how I do it, and those that are doing it with me.

Historically, romance has been written by women, but with time and change, men are now able and willing to toss their collective hats into the mix and give readers love stories from their perspective.  It was an honor to meet what I've coined, The Fabulous Five, authors Wayne Jordan, Keith Thomas Walker, Sean Russell, Earl Sewell, and Norwood Holland and to discover what they think and feel about writing romance.  Norwood Holland, a freelance writer and attorney out of Washington, DC wrote a wonderful ARTICLE about his experience for Examiner.com which I just had to share.

So, with everyone back home, we are all energized, inspired, and writing!  I'm already planning for next year's Slam Jam and believe me when I tell you, I can't wait!

2 comments:

Lareeta R said...

Enjoyed meeting you and thank you for signing my books.

Deborah Mello said...

It was great to meet you as well and thank you so much for the support!